Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Hike Update


Hola Amigos!


I just got into Aguas Calientes...aka Machupicchu Town a few thousand feet below the lost city getting ready for my trip up tomorrow. I opted for a much tougher hike instead of the Inca Trail....and it was worth it once I was done ,)
Tomorrow am at the crack of dawn I will be in Machu Picchu!


Above is the view from my tent when I woke up the first morning.


Here is a summary of the trek. I will fill everyone in with detail when I get back. I only have a few minutes to get this off.


Day One
We started out at 9,800 feet and hiked thru the first pass at 12,400 feet (it sounds much easier in meters). After the pass we hiked back down to 10,500 where we spent the night. All I can say is I slept like a rock.
Day Two (Day from Hell!)
We started out at 10,500 feet and hiked to out first summit at 12,800 feet. After the first summit we continued our hike back down to our lunch site at 11,100 feet. After lunch we started the hardest part of our trek...the climb to 16,400 feet!!!! This was rough!
After my O2 devprived ass made it to the top I had to climb back down to 13,800 feet where we camped for the night. When I woke up this morning it was 34 degrees in my tent...that is inside my tent!!!
Day Three
This morning we completed the trek with a hike to our pick up point at 9,500 feet. The TOTAL DISTANCE was 25 MILES!!!
As you can imagine I will sleep well tonight!!!!
I will send an update when I get back to Cusco. BTW, I uploaded more photos.
Sparky

No comments: